Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Reviews, reviews, reviews...

Haven't posted in a while, been pretty busy with commitments and writing the sequel to The Shadowed Paths while proofing my next novel and planning the rest of my writing for next year.
But I had to post some more snippets of the reviews I've been getting, they're coming thick and fast now and I have to say they're spurring me on.
For the full reviews please visit either Amazon or Goodreads (where most of them are).

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex characters...fascinating worlds, 27 Nov 2011
By Z.Gorman
"The Shadowed Path" - the first volume of "The Archwood Chronicles" - is an ambitious tale of epic-scale conflicts ... the opening of the story is a gladiator scene, which is the whole reason why I picked up the book: It is so vividly and powerfully presented.

After a heart-pounding prologue the story turns personal. We are introduced to Marcus, a young man of wealthy descent who is "banished" to a journey to the death, all because of his father's most recent mistress. Having just left a life of comfort and safety behind, he finds himself in the midst of the notoriously dangerous "Xore's Garden" where fierce Shadowed creatures roam.

I find "The Shadowed Path" an enchanting read. Its characters are complex and real; the world is fascinating; the politics is intriguing. I enjoy the language and the writing style as well. In many scenes, I felt I was right there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 13 Dec 2011
By R.Lolley
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! I got it one day when I was halfway through another fantasy novel (won't mention which one, but it's a series I'm hooked on) and started reading it idly on the way home. I was drawn in so instantly that I put the other novel aside to finish this one, which took me just five days!

What I like about it so much is that there are so many concepts and plot ideas which I haven’t come across before in my extensive reading of the well-used fantasy genre. The Shadowland is an instantly compelling, haunting concept. I love the way we only see parts of what is one of the main elements of the book, keeping us waiting to be drip fed just a little bit more of Marcus' experiences. The Waystalkers are also a truly intriguing race, almost elf like and yet still completely different from anything else I have read.

The further you progress in the book, the more you get drawn into the world of Prast and the characters, who I have to say are well developed, psychologically interesting individuals. I can't wait to see where Marcus goes next, and how Sheena/Jinx is developed as a character.

I love the vaguely familiar Roman/Aztec type settings of Prast and the Sul empire giving us a point of reference against a very fantasy inspired back-drop. The writing style is direct and easy to follow, not overly elaborate, but practical and yet very descriptive. It is easy to picture what is being presented to you. The action sequences are not heroic, unrealistic swash-buckling fights, but swift, brutal, real action, which passes by fast enough that they don't detract from the story but still add that conflict needed to drive a good fantasy story forward.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the series holds, hopefully see more of the Shadowland, and I will definitely be keeping tabs for the next book and grabbing it as soon as it comes out.

I genuinely think this is as professional a book as I've seen on mainstream publishing shelves. In fact, it's a lot better than some I've read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab debut !, 10 Dec 2011
By Lorraine Arndell
Wow. This first part certainly has the feel of an epic story. A whole new world, strongly influenced by the empires of the past.

The novel certainly has its fair share of characters and places ... the lavish descriptions and the specific vocabulary will really draw you into the story ... Once I really got into it, the story literally flowed. The book deserved all my attention. And I did feel rewarded for it.
I'm really looking forward to part 2 now. There are so many questions left unanswered, it's going to feel like a long wait !

And "Xore's Arse" has so been added to my list of rude expressions. Don't know if I'll ever get to use it without people thinking I'm a weirdo, but I love it nevertheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment